15 Best Graphic Design Books for Beginners in 2023
1. Graphic Design For Everyone by Cath Caldwell
2. Grid systems in graphic design by Josef Müller-Brockmann
3. The Design of Everyday Things by Donald A. Norman
4. Paul Rand: Conversations with Students by Michael Kroeger
5. Designing Design by Kenya Hara
6. Typographic Systems of Design by Kimberly Elam
7. Don't Make Me Think, Revisited by Steve Krug
8. The Story of Art by E.H. Gombrich
9. The Non-Designer's Design Book by Robin Williams
10. Logo, Font & Lettering Bible by Leslie Cabarga
11. How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer by Debbie Millman
12. Basics Design 02: Layout: Second Edition by Gavin Ambrose
13. The Essential Principles Of Graphic Design by Debbie Millman
- Basic rules: Well-known designers will explain basic and general methods of graphic design from the perspective of design elements such as text, color, layout, and design style.
- The rules of the creative process: Analyze the working methods and key points from concept strategy, market research, graphics, and images to design workflow and post-production based on project cases.
- Design rules in various fields: analyze your own designs through well-known designers and share valuable experiences with readers. These cases cover almost all areas of graphic design.
14. Design Elements by Timothy Samara
15. What is Graphic Design? by Quentin Newark
What are the Required Learning Materials for Graphic Design?
1. Official teaching materials:
2. AI teaching materials
3. Typesetting materials:
FAQ: Graphic Design for Beginners
Where to start learning graphic design?
How to learn graphic design for beginners?
1. Understand graphic design
2. Clear learning direction
- Printing design: Need to learn some printing knowledge. For example the design of business cards, VIP cards, leaflets (also known as DM bills), posters, POP, etc.
- Outdoor inkjet design: shop signs, light boxes, hanging flags, posters, stage backgrounds, etc.
- Packaging design: It is also necessary to understand the professional knowledge of product packaging materials, shape, size, and die.
- Image design: corporate VI, logo design, font design, requiring a good grasp of vector drawing software.
- Web design: website design, UI design, Taobao shop decoration, H5 page design, usually need to understand html+css3.
3. Clear learning content
- The three basic frameworks of design (including color composition, plane composition, and three-dimensional composition), sketch basis (mastering the principle of perspective, light and shadow relations), color matching, and color psychology.
- Copywriting design (requires a certain degree of cultural accomplishment) masters the basic skills of copywriting, can be comprehensively used in all walks of life, and write simple advertising words.
- Layout and principles (mostly used in picture albums, advertisements, and web design). Master the principles of layout composition, mesh design theory, and basic types of elements.
- Four major graphic design software: Photoshop (PS bitmap), illustrator (AI vector), InDesign (ID bitmap typesetting), and CorelDRAW (CDR vector), at least one of these software can be chosen to learn.
How can I learn Graphic Design Quickly?
Tips for beginners to master when designing
- One: Don't be afraid to enlarge, enlarge your font appropriately, and match colors appropriately, so that your theme will be more prominent
- Two: Choose color matching, choose different tones of the same color series, which will make your wholeness more unified
- Three: Control the spacing in each element, tighten it when there is more content, and relax it when there is less content
- Four: simple style, use the simplest design, maintain basic rules, use contrasting colors, and use a stable and balanced typesetting framework.