The 15 best crossword puzzle books and easy crossword games & activity puzzle books for adults, from novices to experts and enthusiasts.
Read through this article as we list the best crossword puzzle books for adults. Favorite crossword puzzle books, with options for beginners, intermediate, and advanced puzzlers, with picks from Simon & Schuster, the New York Times, and more.
As the name suggests, a crossword game is a kind of simulation game with classic crossword gameplay as the main content. Players will complete the level by crossword in the game.
Most of these games have rich levels and can be divided according to different voices. It is a good choice to pass the time.
Crosswords are a great drink and show you that there's a lot of common sense you don't know. There is nothing wrong with watching TV variety shows and online news every day. However, if you have time, you can still read books, especially those outside your major.
If I like to crosswords, I want to find the blind spot of my knowledge and know that I still have many doors that have not been opened.
The editor has compiled some interesting and easy crossword puzzle books for adults. Many brain-burning challenge crosswords are here.
What is a crossword puzzle and how to play it?
Crosswords are cheap entertainment for people of alphabetic languages. Any newspaper will have a crossword section in it. After dinner, the crossword is a collective pastime for many families, and it is also a good tool for children to increase their vocabulary.
The word labyrinth dates back to Pompeii in the first century AD. The crossword puzzle game first appeared in The New York World on December 21, 1913. In 1924, the Simon & Schuster publishing company published the first book of this type of game, and the crossword puzzle has been explosively developed since then.
"Crossword" is the column that impressed me the most and the best. Different from the traditional crosswords in alphabetic language countries do not test your vocabulary, but whether you are a knower in this era.
The reason why "Crossword" is good is not only because it is early, but its difficulty coefficient is very reasonable. In addition to basic common sense, about one-third needs to be thought about, and the last third needs to mobilize all knowledge reserves and search hard.
However, there are no judges who are dignified in the audience, so you don't have to worry about not getting a score, or worrying about being ridiculed by the judges and becoming a laughing stock for the media and the audience. If you don't know, you don't know. You can ask for help, or you can search the Internet. If you are really anxious, you can directly find the answer.
The crossword puzzle in the United States has developed quite a scale, and the output value of the entire industry is nearly 200 million US dollars. It is estimated that 50 million people will meditate on the blanks every day. People who design crosswords for various newspapers have become an industry, and there are various crossword competitions every year.
According to Will Shortz, editor of The New York Times's crossword puzzles, which Vientiane magazine introduced the year before, nearly 30,000 subscribers each year get the e-mail version of the paper's crossword puzzles.
The legendary Mr. Shorts, who set up questions to sell for money at the age of 14, obtained the world's first "Bachelor of Enigma" degree at Indiana University. Shortz's best work is the 1996 U.S. Election Day anagram with the theme "The President Elected Tomorrow."
The campaign opponents at that time were Clinton and Dole. No matter if you choose "Clinton was elected" or "Dole was elected" as the subject phrase, you can follow the same prompt and fill in two completely different sets of answers.
How fascinating. Later, on Shortz's 50th birthday, Clinton wrote a handwritten letter. He was not only the winner of that election but also a master at crosswords.
15 Best Rated and Easy Crossword Puzzle Books for Adults
Players only need to fill in the existing letters according to the prompts to make them add a Complete word are passed.
Therefore, the difficulty lies in the fact that you need to have enough knowledge reserves.
For children's shoes with good English, if you have excellent judgment ability, it is very easy to win an online confrontation!
Let's explore the ocean of letters together.
The best crossword puzzle books provide a brain challenge and a leisure pastime. Read through this article as we list the easy crossword puzzle books for adults.
Best Crossword Puzzle Book Reviews
Our trained experts have spent hours researching the best Crossword Puzzle Books available on the market. In order to save you both time and money, we’ve narrowed the field down to some of the best Crossword Puzzle Book brands. Check out an in-depth review on Reading and Thinking.com
Crossword puzzle books are a fine thing to have on hand when you find yourself staring at your wall for some hours—sometimes you don’t wanna leave the house, but really need something productive to do.
To help you find the best crossword puzzle books for your skill level, preferences, and budget, we’ve put together this top-five list from big-name brands. Go ahead and make your pick—and get ready to work those brain cells!
In this article, you will learn about the features, pros, and cons of our picks for the top Crossword Puzzle Books. Our experts have chosen a wide range of products that can fit every budget, from top-of-the-line to budget-friendly.
At Reading and Thinking.com, our goal is to help make your buying decisions quick and easy. If you found this article useful, check out our other reviews, and subscribe to our blog!.
1. Best Overall: Simon & Schuster Mega Crossword Puzzle Book #18
Sharpen your pencils—unless you dare to use a pen. The classic, bestselling crossword puzzle series returns with 300 new, never-before-published Thursday to Sunday-sized brain breakers.
In 1924, Simon & Schuster published its first title, The Crossword Puzzle Book. Not only was it the publisher’s first release, but it was also the first collection of crossword puzzles ever printed.
Today, more than 90 years later, Simon & Schuster’s legendary crossword puzzle book series continues with a brand-new collection of 300 crosswords, which offer hours of stimulation for solvers of every level.
Created by the best contemporary constructors—and edited by top puzzle master John M. Samson—the Simon & Schuster Mega Crossword Puzzle Book #18 is designed with convenience in mind, featuring perforated pages so you can tear out puzzles individually and work on them on the go.
This new super-sized book will delight existing fans and challenge new puzzle enthusiasts as they discover this timeless and unique collection of puzzles.
2. Best for Beginners: Easy Crossword Puzzles for Adults: Relax and Train Your Brain
These 100 Easy Crossword Puzzles and Relax And Train Your Brain.
These challenges were written with the casual crossword puzzle aficionado in mind. I’ve always liked to do easy or medium puzzles, in fact, all the crossword books I own are completed up to the point the difficult ones begin.
Your mind and the minds of your friends deserve this entertaining workout, testing knowledge of words, trivia, and spelling.
If you enjoy the daily or weekly crosswords in the New York Times or other such papers, the puzzles in this book will be too easy for you.
We’ve made our puzzles in large type to make them easier on the eyes.
This crossword puzzle book offers:
- 100 easy crossword puzzles to buoy the spirit and exercise the mind
- Hours and hours of captivating challenges
- Large grids make it easier to enter letters
- Easy and Medium level crosswords
- Hundreds of clues to solve
Great for limbering up the mind during breakfast, an evening’s entertainment, a break at the office, or to pass the time enjoyably while on a train or plane.
3. Easy Crossword Puzzles For Adults 2022
Easy Crossword Puzzles For Adults 2022: Easy Crossword Puzzles Book For Adults, Seniors, Men, And Women With Solution.
Large-Print Crossword Puzzle Book
- 80 Crossword puzzles to buoy the spirit and exercise the mind
- Hours and hours of captivating challenges
- Large-print puzzles and solutions
- Large grids make it easier to enter letters
- Medium level crosswordsHundreds of clues to solve
- 73 Pages.
- Cover: Glossy Cover
- 8.5×11 in (large print).
- All solutions are at the end of the book!
This Crossword Puzzle Book is a fun way for teens, adults, or seniors to sharpen their minds and test their General Knowledge Skills. Including Puzzles to keep you entertained for hours.
4. Best Medium Difficulty: The New York Times Wednesday Crossword Puzzle Omnibus
America's most popular crosswords Solvers know that "The New York Times" provides the finest crosswords in the world, and here are 200 more great Will Shortz-edited creations to prove the point.
Under Shortz's editorship, the "Times" crosswords have emphasized flexible vocabulary, spoken English, fun wordplay, and a hip, contemporary attitude.
*200 crosswords drawn from Monday through Friday editions of "The New York Times"* Edited by crossword legend Will Shortz* Author bylines allow fans to get to know today's top puzzle makers.
5. Best for Advanced Puzzlers: Hellishly Hard Fireball Crosswords: 45 Ultra-Tough Puzzles
Looking for puzzles hot enough to burn your brain? Crossword masochists—these 45 ultra-tough puzzles are for you! Beware: these super-hard puzzles will have your brain working on overdrive!
But that's perfect if you're a solver who likes to get burned once in a while—especially by brilliantly executed crosswords with fiendishly challenging clues.
Fans of the Friday and Saturday offerings from places like The New York Times will love the difficulty level and the devilishly wicked themes.
There are even explanations in the back for the toughest clues, along with complete answer grids. Solve with a pen … if you dare!
6. Best for History Buffs: Curious History of the Crossword: 100 Puzzles from Then and Now
2013 marks the 100th anniversary of the original crossword puzzle. Arthur Wynne was a British journalist working for a NY newspaper in 1913.
He wanted to do a new game for the back of the newspaper, so he devised a diamond grid with no black squares. He called it a “Word Cross,” and thus the first crossword puzzle was born.
In this book, crossword constructor Ben Tausig takes examines the curious history of the crossword and its evolution in the past 100 years.
Each chapter compares puzzles from then and now and is accompanied by one hundred challenging puzzles for readers complete (classic early puzzles will also be included).
- Chapter 1 – Basic Expected Knowledge to Finish a Crossword, Then & Now
- Chapter 2 – Transcendent Puzzle Themes, Then & Now
- Chapter 3 – Esoteric Words, Then & Now
- Chapter 4 – Humor in Crosswords, Then & Now
- Chapter 5 – The Breakfast Table Rule, Then & Now
- Chapter 6 – The Rise of Indie Puzzles
- Chapter 7 - How Puzzles Pass through Generations
- Chapter 8 – Technology in Puzzles
- Chapter 9 – The Great Constructors, Then & Now
- Chapter 10 - Puzzle Economies
- Chapter 11 - The Future of the Crossword
7. Best for Foodies: Food for Thought Crosswords
Hungry for great crosswords? Then feed your brain with these 72 tasty puzzles that feature food-related puns and themes.
The menu offers options ranging from easy to more difficult, so there’s something for every solver to enjoy. Bon appétit!
8. Best Diagramless: Diagramless Crosswords (Volume 3)
When regular crossword puzzles prove too easy, wordsmiths need a harder challenge. Diagramless crosswords offer a new trial of wits and intelligence for even the most devoted acrostic lover.
Imagine your typical crossword puzzle, with clue numbers and black squares separating each answer. Now remove the black squares. Not challenging enough for you? Remove the clue numbers as well. Now you’re looking at a blank grid. You don’t just have to solve the puzzle clues—you must figure out where the clue answers and black separation squares fit on the board. It’s a challenge unlike any other.
Diagramless Crosswords: Volume 3 is puzzle creator Richard Emmons’s third foray into the bewildering, mind-bending world of diagramless crosswords. Inside this collection, you’ll find seventy-five puzzles of varying difficulty. Simpler puzzle grids measure eleven by eleven squares, while the real brain strainers measure twenty-three by twenty-three.
For newcomers to the blank grids of diagramless crosswords, Emmons offers tips and tricks for solving the puzzles. A list of the starting squares for the first puzzle is included in the back to help jump-start your puzzle-solving adventure.
These are crossword puzzles at their purest and most challenging—these are diagramless crosswords.
9. Brain Games Crossword Puzzles
This book, from the popular Brain Games series, presents more than 80 crossword puzzles in a large-print format.
- Puzzle clues and grids are enlarged for ease of reading and writing, and spread across two pages.
- The puzzles get progressively more challenging as you proceed through the book.
- If you get stumped, solutions to all the puzzles are provided in the final section of the book.
- Spiral bound, 192 pages.
Brain Games were developed to help people increase their memory, sharpen their reasoning, and expand their creative thinking. Working the puzzles in this book can provide a vigorous mental workout for virtually everyone from teenagers to senior citizens.
10. Funster Crossword Puzzle Book for Adults
Crossword puzzles that are fun for everyone!
- Gentle brain exercise
- From best-selling puzzle book author Charles Timmerman
- 101 puzzles for hours of entertainment
- Frustration-free with just the right level of challenge
- Large-print puzzles that are easy to read
- Giant grids make it simple to enter letters
- Includes free word search and sudoku puzzles you can download
11. The Crossword Book: Over 350 Crosswords
Everyone loves a crossword! With over 350 exciting puzzles, The Crossword Book provides hours of entertainment.
This collection includes puzzles you will be able to finish in a single sitting, by tapping your knowledge on a broad range of subjects from notable quotes and Broadway plays, to animal characteristics and geography.
Grab your favorite pencil, curl up, and start solving!
- OVER 350 PUZZLES & SOLUTIONS: Most puzzles contain over 50 words to solve for! Hours of fun and entertainment to enjoy!
- EXERCISE YOUR BRAIN: Test your knowledge of a broad range of subjects and give your brain some exercise! Of course, you know what is a Fairy Godmother's stick, a Mexican Donkey, or a Sugar Source? Test if you know a Great Lake near Buffalo, a Donkey's kin, or the Hawkeye State!
- LAY FLAT: Spiral-bound lays flat for ease of use at home or on the go. Whether you drinking your morning coffee, riding on the train, or relaxing on vacation this crossword puzzle book can go with you.
- EASY TO INTERMEDIATE: Easy to intermediate-level puzzles. Great for beginners to more experienced crossword puzzle enthusiasts.
- MAKES A GREAT GIFT: For the crossword puzzle lover, this book makes a great gift for any occasion! Birthday, stocking stuffers, road trip, or more, everyone will love it!
- PARRAGON PUZZLE BOOK COLLECTION: Look for additional puzzle books from Parragon for all types of puzzles including crosswords, word searches, sudoku, and more!
12. USA Today Crossword 3
USA TODAY Crossword 3 is a brand-new collection of 200 crosswords for puzzle smiths of all skill levels.
Crossword is a classic puzzle that continues to be one of the most popular puzzle types. Keep your mind sharp with this assortment from the nation's newspaper and gaming authority, USA TODAY.
13. Merriam-Webster Crossword Puzzle Dictionary
An enlarged print edition of America's best-selling crossword puzzle dictionary! The latest edition is an essential guide for anyone who enjoys the game and features a large, easy-to-read typeface.
- Features 340,000 clues and answer words with over 20,000 new words.
- Organized alphabetically, by the number of letters, and by common categories to quickly target the words you need.
- New answer and clue words include freegan, goji, pho, and tweep.
- Comprehensive coverage of ""crosswordese”– the words, people, and place names most encountered by puzzlers.
The perfect book for crossword puzzle lovers!
14. KAPPA Super Saver Large Print Crosswords Pack
Kappa Super Saver Word Search Puzzle Pack is a diverse collection of 6 of your favorite Full-Size Large Print Word-Find puzzle books.
These Easy to Read Puzzles are the perfect way to relax and unplug while sharpening your mind!
15. The New York Times Greatest Hits of Monday Crossword Puzzles
A NEW day-of-the-week series with 100 puzzles in a convenient portable paperback package
Nobody loves Monday best...unless you're a New York Times crossword puzzle solver! This collection of 100 easy crosswords will give you a case of Mondays in the best possible way.
- 100 easy Monday puzzles
- Bold, fun series cover design
- Edited by crossword legend Will Shortz
16. The Puzzler
You have played more or less of the above puzzle games. How do you feel in the process of playing? Why do we like these puzzles? What kind of impact will these puzzles have on us? A new book called the Puzzle has the answer.
The book explains that while puzzles come in very different forms, nearly all puzzles have one thing in common: they cause the puzzler to go through a period of difficulty and struggle before relaxing. They provide a moment of epiphany.
The tension leads to a very satisfying ending. Is this why the author and millions of others love puzzles? Or does the puzzle offer a certainty you can't get in the confusing real world?
The answer may not be unique, as the author explores various theories and possible reasons why the puzzle is so appealing that many people are addicted.
Beginning with the author's first love puzzle, the crossword puzzle, he has gone through a variety of other types of puzzles, including:
- The wildly popular Rubik's Cube (did you know there are 443 trillion possible combinations in the world?!),
- puzzles Games (he discovered the World Puzzle Championship, the real thing),
- math and logic puzzles (according to some scholars, the earliest math puzzles date back to Egypt, around 1500 BC!),
- ciphertext puzzles questions (originating in the UK and known for being incredibly difficult), and more!
Filled with unforgettable adventures, he is fully immersed in a world full of puzzles, participating in various competitions with great enthusiasm, and he uncovers the history and all kinds of problems that give us headaches, while at the same time also educating us how games can improve the way we think, live and think.
Whether you're a very skilled puzzler or the occasional Monday crossword gamer, this book will teach you the power of flexible thinking and concentration. You'll close this book with real problem-solving strategies and the path to becoming a better thinker and decision-maker - because we are indeed in confusing times.
By the way, there is also a mystery hidden in this book itself. If you are interested, you can try to solve it.
You May Also Like: Best Crossword Puzzle Books (Examples of Puzzle Books for Adults)
- Easy-To-Read Crossword Puzzles For Adults
- The New York Times Best of the Week Series
- The New York Times Best of Saturday Crosswords
- AARP Large Print Crossword Puzzles
- Simon & Schuster Mega Crossword Puzzle Book #19
- 75 Easy-To-Read Crossword Puzzles
- Drunk Crosswords: All-New Puzzles with a Twist
- The Best of Merl Reagle’s Sunday Crosswords
- Sudoku Puzzle Books
- Kakuro Puzzle Books
- Suguru puzzle book for adults
- Numbrix Puzzle Books
- 3D Projection Puzzle
- Futoshiki Puzzle Books
- Binary puzzle book for adults
- Nonogram Puzzle Books
- Crossword Puzzle
- Word Search
- Murder Mystery Puzzle Books
- Cryptogram Puzzle
- Riddles Puzzle
- Brain Teasers
FAQ: Best Rated and Easy Crossword Puzzle Books for Adults
What are the benefits of doing crossword puzzles?
People who complete crossword puzzles every day have the same brain function as people who are 10 years younger than their actual age. Doing some crosswords can exercise brain power.
Do crossword puzzles help with memory?
According to the British "Daily Telegraph" website, they found that the more often they played crosswords, the better the participants performed on tasks that assessed attention, reasoning skills, and memory.
Recently, researchers at the University of Exeter and King's College London conducted an online test of memory, attention, and reasoning skills in more than 17,000 healthy people aged 50. The results of the study suggest that people who completed crossword puzzles every day, on tests of grammatical reasoning speed and short-term memory accuracy, had brain function equivalent to someone 10 years younger than their chronological age and could help prevent brain decline in old age.
Professor Keith Witness, from the University of Exeter, said: "We found a direct link between the frequency of playing crosswords and the speed and accuracy of completing nine cognitive tasks assessing attention, reasoning, and memory. "
"Among those who said they played crosswords regularly, performance was always better, and it improved with frequency. We now need to track this very exciting association in clinical trials."
Professor Clive Ballard, from the University of Exeter, said: "We can't yet say that crosswords make people's brains sharper, and the next step is to assess whether regular crossword play actually improves people's brain function. "
The results have been presented at the Alzheimer's Association 2017 International Conference in London.
What kind of puzzles is best?
Crossword is a very brain-burning comprehensive puzzle mobile game that tests players' logical thinking ability. There are actually many types of crossword puzzles, including crossword master, vertical and horizontal idiom crossword, and crazy crossword. All the crossword puzzles are very popular among players.
Can crossword puzzles develop brain power?
What are the benefits of doing it frequently for the development of human brain intelligence?
There are many ways to exercise the brain, and it is not difficult. Just change your lifestyle a little, such as changing your hand to brush your teeth, eating with your eyes closed, being in a daze, playing crossword puzzles, and exercising moderately, and a new and smart you will be born.
- Eat with eyes closed: In order to use your brain consciously, you can block some information, such as visual information. Closing your eyes and relying on your other senses to find food and deliver it to your mouth stimulates the senses of touch, taste, and smell, thereby enhancing the function of related areas of the brain.
- Use your fingers to distinguish coins: put a few coins of different denominations in your pocket at any time, and try to distinguish them with the tips of your fingers when you are free, which can stimulate the cerebral cortex and tap some hidden abilities of the brain.
- Turn off the sound to watch TV: block the sound and analyze the content being played on the TV only by the picture. Doing so stimulates the cerebral cortex and trains you to focus on one thing.
- Reading aloud: The process of reading aloud is to feed back visual stimuli to the auditory and confirm it. It stimulates the brain much more than silent reading, so the memory is more profound. When reading this article, it is recommended that you choose to read silently when you need to obtain information and choose to read aloud when analyzing or remembering information.
- Learn a foreign language: There is an area of the brain called the prefrontal cortex, which directly affects your decision-making ability, and learning a foreign language can improve this area.
Although not everyone has the so-called "smart gene", there are still many ways we can make ourselves smarter. There are many ways to exercise the brain, and it is not difficult, just change your lifestyle a little,
such as changing your hand to brush your teeth, eating with your eyes closed, staring in a daze, playing crossword puzzles, exercising moderately, a new and smart you.
Promoting atherosclerosis, premature cerebral aging, and mental decline.
Long-term satiety modern nutrition studies have found that after eating too much, a substance called "fibroblast growth factor" in the brain will increase significantly.
These fibroblast growth factors can increase capillary endothelial cells and fat, and promote atherosclerosis, premature cerebral aging, and mental decline.