On this page...
About the author of The Long View
Excerpts from the original text
5 things to know to build a career:
- The duration of the career is surprisingly long, including three different stages. They are a strong start, focusing on the longboard and sustained influence.
- Workplace fuel is very important because the basis of a career determines the outcome. There are three main sources of fuel: transferable skills, meaningful experience, and lasting relationships.
- A career needs to be constructed by a clever investment in time.
- The career does not develop in a linear or predictable way.
- A career is far more than just a job, but a large part of life.
Book Summary: 'The Long View' by Brian Fetherstonhaugh
After reading, I have the following insights:
- Working life will be a marathon for more than 45 years. There is no balance between work and life. It is part of life. Plan your goals, pace, and fellow travelers as early as possible, so that work can become and fulfill your passion.
- Always keep a clear look at the intersection of the following three: what you love, what you are good at, and what the world needs-this is the sweet zone of your career, find it, update it, and make sure you are in the sweet zone at every stage Inside.
- If we divide the three stages of our career every 15 years and know in advance the tasks to be completed in each stage, the fuel to be saved, and the risks to be experienced, we will get the vision in the title of this book (the long view) and a calm mind, prepare early and clear customs early.
- Since there is always the day when the curtain ends in your career, the sudden braking under high-speed driving is always uncomfortable. Can our lives be connected to long, lasting, and greater communities, meanings, and missions, and the sooner the better? The author's own experience and the entrepreneurial cases he personally observed in the book bring a lot of inspiration.
Book Review of The Long View by Brian Fetherstonhaugh
Let's take a look at how you plan for the first stage of your career.
Author Brian said that there are three basic forms of workplace fuel in a career.
- Fuel No. 1 is a transferable skill,
- Fuel No. 2 is a meaningful experience, and
- Fuel No. 3 is a lasting relationship.
No. 1 fuel can transfer skills.
- The first one is the ability to solve problems.
- The second is persuasive communication skills.
- The third is the ability to complete tasks.
- The fourth is the ability to attract talents.
- The fifth is the ability to help and ask for help.
- Sixth, emotional intelligence.
- The first is the ability to solve problems,
- the second is persuasive communication skills, and
- the third is the ability to complete tasks.
- The fourth is the ability to attract talents,
- the fifth is the ability to help and ask for help and
- the last is emotional intelligence.
Okay, let’s take a look at what the meaningful experience of No. 2 fuel includes?
Finally, let's talk about the lasting relationship of No. 3 fuel.
Well, this is the first content for you today:
- How to plan the first stage of your career.
- How do you plan for the second stage of your career?
The author Bryan gives some suggestions to leaders who are first-time leaders.
- The first piece of advice is to always pay attention to your appearance, attitude, and behavior.
- The second suggestion is to express your vision succinctly and repeat it over and over again.
- Let’s look at the third suggestion and choose team members as soon as possible.
- The fourth suggestion is that every meaningful business problem can best be solved in a smaller team.
- The fifth suggestion is that you have to act like a trusted answerer.
- The last piece of advice
Well, this is the second content for you today:
- How to plan the second stage of your career.
Finally, let's take a look at how to plan for the third stage of your career?
Below, let’s take a look at what suggestions the author Brian has given to help you plan the third stage of your career.
- The first suggestion is to experiment and voluntarily accept the challenge.
- The second suggestion Bryan gave was to start a business and open up a whole territory.
- Well, let’s take a look at the last suggestion of author Brian is to make a retirement plan and keep it relevant.
Well, this is the third piece of content I will tell you today:
- How to plan the third stage of your career.
Finally, let us briefly review.
Discover literary treasures at ReadingAndThinking.com – your ultimate destination for insightful book recommendations and reviews!
Please Share These Resources with Colleagues, Friends, and Family.